Budget 2016-2017: More prospects for Mauritian sportspersons to compete
Budget 2016-2017 aims at providing Mauritian athletes with more opportunities to participate in international competitions as they are often the best ambassadors of the country.
Measures announced comprise:
- Upgrading and construction of necessary sports infrastructure to host the next ‘Jeux des Iles’ in Mauritius in 2019. In this context, a new multi sports complex including a swimming pool of international norm will be constructed at St Pierre. Upgrading works will be carried out in the following stadiums: Anjalay, George V, Germain Commarmond and Quartier Militaire.
- A new swimming pool will be built at Rivière des Anguilles.
- Scheme to support the professional development of our best athletes supplemented with a contract of employment as coach to young sportsmen and sports women. The Centre for Excellence in Sport, funded by a newly established Lotto Fund, will run the scheme.
- Provision of an amount of Rs 26 million from the new Lotto Fund to further support the professionalisation of football.
- Upgrading of Pointe Jérome and Anse La Raie Residential Youth Centres.
- Launch of sports programmes to be made accessible to the public, specially the youth.
- Upgrading sports infrastructure in existing schools and colleges and making them accessible to the public after school hours.