Budget 2016–2017 Highlights: Enhancing the development of Rodrigues and Outer Islands
A series of measures geared towards consolidating the development of Rodrigues and the Outer Islands are outlined in the 2016-2017 budget. The allocation for the Rodrigues Regional Assembly is being increased to Rs 3.3 billion and a further amount of Rs 1.1 billion will be provided to the different Ministries and Departments, bringing the total amount to Rs 4.4 billion.
As regards the extension of the runway, the project is estimated to cost Rs 2 billion. The design is under preparation and construction works will start by next year. A sum of Rs 40 million is being provided for the extension of the Rodrigues Airport Terminal.
Other measures include:
- Finalisation of the Port Master Plan by next year
- Construction of a new Warm Up Track at Camp du Roi stadium
- Finalisation of the guaranteed purchase over a period of ten years of bandwidth through undersea cable
- Increase in the purchase of the satellite bandwidth from 200 to 500 megabytes per second until the end of 2018
- Construction of two Police stations at Petit Gabriel and Grande Montagne
In view of the implementation Marshall Plan against poverty in the Republic of Mauritius, the budget makes provision for Rs 50 million which will go into the construction of social housing units in Rodrigues. The plan is to construct 1,000 units over the next three years.
As regards Agalega, Rs 4 million has been earmarked for the acquisition of two new generators to secure continuous electricity supply for the population. A sum of Rs 6.5 million will be provided for the construction of a cold room to store food items and fish catch for exports to Mauritius.